Friday, December 10, 2010

liquid gold

I am a bad blogger (p.s. I hate that term). It's been far too long since I last documented my kitchen adventures.
A few Sundays ago, I was a fiercely productive domestic debbie in the kitchen. On the menu that evening was my favorite, butternut squash soup! I've experimented with a lot of recipes, receiving different results each time. Are all butternut squash created equal? Roasting versus being impatient and just cutting up a raw squash until your fingers bleed? Mysteries I have yet to solve. I really wanted to make a butternut squash soup on the sweeter side. I found an Alton Brown  recipe with rave reviews that looked worth a try. Honey, ginger and heavy cream! Can't go wrong!

Is that a squash on your counter,
or are you just happy to see me?



First, I'd like to introduce my giant ass butternut squash. Giant ass squash, meet readers. Readers, meet giant ass squash. Seriously. Look at the size of this thing. Surprisingly, it was the "smallest" to select from at the store. I bought it during a pumpkin picking excursion. The farm has a country market where they sell produce and jams and such. All of their "homegrown" produce was unnaturally huge. I'm talking peppers the size of an infant's head. Typically I use two small butternut squash for a pot of soup. In this case, all that was needed was just one big giant ass squash.







 
1/4 of a roasted giant ass squash


liquid gold. yum.
 


The finished soup was pretty nice. Roasting the squash seemed to bring out more flavor. The soup was a little too sweet for what I was craving, I think the amount of honey I uncontrollably squeezed in might have had something to do with it. Adding some thyme to the top helped mellow the sweetness. Simple, quick and nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment